Job Title: Team Leader (3 Job Vacancies)
Duty Station: Uganda
ALIGHT, formerly the American Refugee Committee (ARC), is an international nonprofit, nonsectarian organization that has provided humanitarian assistance and training to millions of beneficiaries over the last 40 years. In 2011, Alight helped nearly 2.5 million people get essential services to regain their health and take back control of their lives. Alight works with its partners and constituencies to provide opportunities and expertise to communities of refugees and internally displaced persons in seven countries in Africa, Asia and Europe, including Iraq, Kosovo, and in the Darfur region of Sudan and is currently providing for emergency relief and recovery in Haiti. Alight provides shelter, clean water and sanitation, health care, skills training, microcredit education, protection to help survivors of war and natural disasters to rebuild their lives with dignity, health care, security and self-sufficiency.
Job Summary: Reporting directly to the Area Coordinator – South West, the Team Leader will be accountable for the overall leadership and management of Alight’s projects at field office according to Alight’s policies, procedures and commitments with donors. He/she will provide leadership and management support to Protection Manager to ensure efficient program management (implementation and budget management) of all ALIGHT projects (traditional / nontraditional) at the field office. He/she will also provide leadership and management support to operations (HR, Finance, Logistics, Security and Administration) to ensure adequate, effective and on-time support to program implementation. The Team Leader will be responsible for ensuring meaningful engagement, excellent coordination with other organizations working at site level. S/he will also represent Alight at the local level (local government authorities including local leaders, donors, UN organizations, NGOs, and partners. The position is overall accountable for ensuring all functions 1. Program 2. Finance 3. HR& Admin 4. Logistics 5. MEAL are performing well.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Program Management & Oversight:
- Overall responsible for ensuring all commitments (traditional/ nontraditional) for the site are managed as per agreed grant documents/ plans.
- Provide leadership guidance to protection manager for effective and efficient implementation / completion of protection programs.
- Ensure that protection manager has developed and following site level implementation plans and overseeing implementation of work plans for accountability against commitments.
- Ensure protection manager has developed and adheres to budget planning, spending and procurement plans to ensure timely and cost-effective implementation.
- Lead site level monthly review meetings to track the performance of the programs, follow up on agreed corrective actions.
- Track ITT and provide guidance to Protection Managers if things are not on track;
- Lead activities/ engagements at site level (internally) to refresh and continue conversations on Alight values – yellow book
Coordination and Advocacy:
- Lead/ coordinate all donor related missions to ensure Alight gets to represent its work effectively
- Ensure Alight actively participates in all elements of site-level coordination (e.g. OPM, UNHCR, Inter-Agency Working Groups) and ensure Alight teams are consulting coordination structures as projects are implemented;
- Maintain an open dialogue with all relevant sectorial and inter-agency actors operating in refugee settlements;
- As a leader develop and maintain strong working relationship with all stakeholders-including Refugee Welfare Councils community leaders, NGOs, UN agencies and CBOs;
- Ensure information from the coordination meetings is timely shared by teams along with quick responses to issues identified;
- Develop and maintain constructive, positive and respectful relationships with key government, OPM and other stakeholders.
Monitoring & Evaluation:
- Work in close collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Coordinator, ensure relevant monitoring of all program activities and all indicators needed for advocacy and strategic planning;
- Periodically conduct on-site spot checks of activities implemented, and ensure with protection manager that proper documentation of activities is maintained for reporting and lessons-learned purposes;
- Ensure that activities to be implemented are shared with relevant stakeholders for the purpose of collaboration, building relationships, and developing joint activities that make best use of available capacities;
- Participate, as needed, in donor and other stakeholder M&E visits, assuring that Alight is well-represented and sharing project progress as per agreements.
Financial Management and Oversight:
- Oversee application of project funds in collaboration with the Area Coordinator and the Protection Manager, ensuring proper budgeting of activities to be implemented and advance notification of potential shortfalls / bottlenecks in budgets that require evaluation;
- Track BVA and provide guidance to Protection Managers if spending is not on track;
- Safeguard and adhere to Alight’s internal controls and financial procedures;
- Liaise with Country Finance Coordinator to ensure monthly financial projections and corresponding cash requests are processed in a timely manner;
- Verify weekly cash counts.
- With support from the Supply Chain, Core Relief Items, and Logistics Manager maintain oversight of operational systems – inclusive of Security Management;
- Supervise the field-based operations staff to ensure that activities receive adequate logistical support. These include fleet management, procurement, asset and warehouse management;
- Ensure that organizational policies and procedures pertaining to the above are strictly adhered to;
- Serve as Security Focal Point for the area.
Human Resource Management:
- With support from the Human Resources Coordinator maintain the integrity and oversight of HR systems and processes;
- Safeguard the policy environment defined by the Staff Handbook;
- Provide leadership and support to ensure staff well-being and capacity building / learning;
- Promote stress management by providing regular opportunities for staff debriefing; encourage and foster team building initiatives.
- Provide objective feedback to staff performance evaluations as per staff job descriptions regarding performance, expectations and areas for growth and professional development;
- Develop staff capacity building plans in coordination with sector leads and the Area Coordinator;
- Ensure all staff timesheets are completed accurately by the end of each month.
- Encourage staff to provide feedback and establish mechanism to receive and address complaints and grievances from staff.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Community Development, Social Sciences, or related field;
- Four years of program management experience in protection or similar area with displaced populations, or in post conflict settings;
- Excellent experience in leading and managing emergency response project(s) addressing Protection and Livelihoods needs of refugees;
- Good knowledge of international humanitarian best practices, including IASC GBV Guidelines, SPHERE Standards, UNHCR Protection Handbook recommendations, and other relevant foundational documentation;
- Knowledge on SASA! approach is an asset;
- Excellent work experience in training facilitation, mentoring and capacity development;
- Diplomacy and assertiveness, with the ability to confront and discuss sensitive issues with respect;
- Strong coordination skills with proven ability to work across multiple technical areas simultaneously, supporting and mentoring multiple staff members;
- Ability to write quality reports and concept notes;
- Professional fluency in spoken and written English;
- Flexibility and willingness to work early mornings / late nights as required;
- Sense of humour, and ability to lead by example;
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Office, Email, etc.).
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified candidates should apply online at the link below
Deadline: 28th December 2021