Job ID 27982
Job Title: Accountant – BRIGHT Project IFDC UG
Organisation: International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC)
Duty Station: Fort Portal, Uganda
The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is an independent non-profit organization that combines innovative research, market systems development, and strategic partnerships to spread sustainable agricultural solutions for improved soil health, food security, and livelihoods around the world.
Job Summary: The Accountant will be a national position and reports to the National Administration and Finance Officer and providing overall support to the Finance department. He/she will be based in the IFDC Fort Portal office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review and process requests for travel and activity advances and accurately reconcile advances upon completion of travel or activities.
- Review and process all the invoices and reconcile before entering in the accounting system.
- Monitor expenditures against the project budget.
- Follow up on timely expenses report submission by travellers.
- Update and distribute individual cash advance statement to staff in the beginning of every month. Ensure consistent application of donor and IFDC financial policies and procedures.
- Constantly review work practices and financial procedures for better operational efficiency and proactively raise management attention potential issues in accounts, financial processes and controls. This includes doing audits at country level on a regular basis.
- In close collaboration with the Finance & Administration team, ensure general day-to-day project administration, including but not limited to purchase of equipment and services, organization of travels, logistics for project activities in Uganda
- Ensuring all Journals and Bank deposits are correctly and timely entered in NetSuite
- Contribute to the development, improvement, and monitoring of project procedures.
- Maintain the filing system of all financial reports, field wire requests, bank reconciliations; field accounts review certifications and other finance documentation.
- Prepare and send payments to the head office for settlement
- Use email, letters, and telephone to contact debtors and ensure retirement of all advances is within the timeframe.
- Keep comprehensive database of all advances accounts holders in IFDC and make such available upon request.
- Coordinate with the Finance & Administration officer to ensure inventory list is updated regularly for all additions, deletions, and changes in inventory.
- Ensure that physical verification of assets on a sample selection basis is conducted and a complete physically verified inventory is conducted and documented on a yearly basis.
- Upload payment vouchers on NetSuite
- Prepare the Local staff payroll as per the law and send to the NAFO for review
- Ensure compliance with taxation and statutory requirements including preparing and managing PAYE and other statutory requirements to ensure compliance.
- Prepare on a timely basis the severance and payroll file/journals at the end of every month
- Share the pay slips with staff by the end of every month.
- Take lead in training and mentoring Assistant Accountants and Finance Intern(s) or trainees
- Perform as needed other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or a Bachelor’s degree in business with emphasis in accounting.
- Professional certification as an accountant in Uganda.
- At least three years of experience in accounting, ideally related to or other major international donor-funded programs.
- Extensive understanding of donor/partner requirements, regulations and agreements
- Advanced proficiency with the use of MS Word, MS Excel, and other accounting software.
- Must be highly skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data.
- Must be highly skilled in use of Excel Spreadsheets as well as other accounting software.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, with a good working knowledge of the second
- Good planning skills, honest and reliable.
- Ability to work alone and in a team and meet strict deadlines.
- People management skills
- Ability to work independently under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Act in accordance with and defend the best interests of IFDC
- Ability to work independently, under pressure to meet tight deadlines with quality output.
- Strong sense of integrity and personal commitment to the achievement of goals.
- Consistently maintains focus and perseveres in the face of obstacles, inspiring others to do the same.
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills with ability to maintain effective work relationships
- Excellent communication skills with ability to express ideas clearly, logically and effectively
- Anticipates key issues in work and identify creative and practical solutions.
- Great organizational skills and attention to detail in operationalization of administrative and finance tasks.
- Honours all commitments made to colleagues and partners.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment, be open-minded and seek to understand
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply online at the link below.