Job Title: Accountant
Organisation: Wave Mobile Money
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Wave Mobile Money is building a cashless Africa – starting in Senegal, Cote d’Ivoire, Uganda & now in Mali. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash. We’re solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always work, you can still send money with Wave.
Job Summary: We’re looking for an Accountant who’s resourceful, organized and proactive about getting things done. You’ll be responsible for helping developing and maintaining an effective financial and accounting unit as we rapidly scale our business in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Book accounting entries
- Provide financial information by researching and analyzing accounting data
- Recommend financial actions by analyzing accounting options
- Reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Handle financial closing tasks under Assistant Controller’s supervision
- Substantiate financial transactions by auditing documents.
- Maintain accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures.
- Prepare payments by verifying documentation, and requesting disbursements.
- Comply with financial, legal and regulatory requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising on needed actions.
- Maintain confidence and protect operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Lead by living Wave’s values, and ensure they’re deeply engrained within your team.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in accounting, finance or tax
- At least five years of experience in accounting/auditing/finance
- Strong experience with financial reporting requirements
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Good computer skills especially in Word and Excel
- Experience in a multi-entity reporting environment
- Possess strong accounting and reporting skills.
- Are excessively detail oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are a critical thinker that likes to challenge status quo.
- Are deadline-orientated.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Love owning projects – you’re autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Know how to maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive information.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions, while managing time factor.
How to Apply:
All Interested and qualified candidates should apply online at the link below.