Job Title: Accountant Payables
Organisation: Wave Mobile Money
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Wave Mobile Money is building a cashless Africa – starting in Senegal, Cote d’Ivoire, Uganda & now in Mali. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash. We’re solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always work, you can still send money with Wave.
Job Summary: We’re looking for a Payables Accountant who’s resourceful, organized, and proactive about getting things done. You’ll be responsible for helping develop and maintain an effective financial and accounting unit as we rapidly scale our business in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that accounts payable functions are delivered effectively and efficiently.
- Review, update, and or set up new policies/procedures/guidelines/workflows relating to staff business travel accountabilities, cash advances, reimbursements, etc
- Ensure that invoices and staff reimbursements are posted accurately in SAGE Intacct.
- Ensure that all APs possess sufficient appropriate support documentation before payment as per standard processes and procedures.
- Manage and reconcile accounts of cash, bank, and AP. Reconciliations should be done by the 10th month.
- Perform monthly supplier reconciliations for at least the top 50 suppliers by value.
- Initiate fully approved payments promptly for authorization into the company’s online bank systems.
- Raise and post journals relating to business operations expenses daily, using the company inhouse online tools, e.g., Liquidity tool, expense tool, bank expense
- Process and record monthly AP accruals as required from time to time. In any case not later than five working days after the month-end.
- Liaise with the cash management and liquidity teams to reconcile issues, if any, between Wave MoMo wallet balance and SAGE Intacct operational bank accounts
- Participate in monthly business cash operations forecasting.
- Any other duties assigned by the Assistant Financial Controller
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s in accounting, finance, or tax
- Preference will be given to candidates who are pursuing a professional Accountancy course, e.g ICPAU, ACCA at least Level 2
- The ideal candidate must be familiar with EFRIS
- Three years of experience in accounting/auditing/finance
- Strong experience with financial reporting requirements
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Good computer skills, especially in Word and Excel
- Experience in a multi-entity reporting environment
- You might be a good fit if you
- Possess strong accounting and reporting skills.
- Are excessively detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are a critical thinker that likes to challenge the status quo.
- Are deadline-orientated.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Love owning projects – you are autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination?
- Know how to maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive information.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions while managing time factors.
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified candidates should apply online at the link below.