Job Title: Construction Support Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, with Upcountry Travels/ Operations, Uganda
Reports to: Construction Engineer
PEAS is an international education not-for-profit organisation with the mission to ‘expand access to sustainably delivered, quality secondary education across Africa’.
Since 2008, PEAS has built and operated high quality low-cost not-for-profit secondary schools in close partnership with government in communities where there is urgent unmet demand for secondary education. We currently run 28 secondary schools in Uganda and 4 in Zambia serving over 15,000 students.
Job Summary: The Construction Support Officer will provide technical information to the Engineering department as well as implementing and maintaining services within established guidelines and standards. He/She will work closely with the Construction Engineer coordinating assigned construction projects and related activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise projects and effectively report on assignments given (written report discussed and on file-monthly).
- Quantity Survey for Civil Works; carry out scheme designs/sketches, costing and concept briefs for school construction works assigned. (Discussed and filed reports as per agreed time lines).
- Show up on the development of all construction documents including relevant regulatory approvals, site safety plans and construction readiness documents, e.g., designs, Bills of Quantities, survey reports, etc. (Discussed reports and on file).
- School compound beatification and storm water improvement; take lead to assess school needs for low-cost approaches, costing and implementation based on school master plans (monthly all schools progress report).
- Project management report; compile reports in consultations with Construction Engineer.
- Review existing Engineering department procedures and infrastructure and advise on possible low-cost innovations and cost saving ideas.
Project monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Weekly progress reviews of project site work; ensure that all construction sites avail status snap shots of work (one a week written highlights discussed and filed).
Health, Safety and Child Protection.
- Ensure that PEAS school buildings are designed to optimize Child Protection..
- Ensure compliance to Health, Safety and Environmental Policies at the Schools. (Report on safety status based on trip to schools)
- Carry out training for school leaders/ teachers/students for facilities utilization.
Record keeping of engineering activities
- Preparation of reports on construction and maintenance of School facilities (All activity reports to be written and on file)
Communication and Networking (PEAS-Uganda, government and NGO community level)
- Ensure Effective communication and collaboration with other PEAS-Uganda departments.
- Ensure that all communications and interactions with school stakeholders at community, district and national level are in-line with PEAS core values and facilitate positive relationships (Have sign offs of any form of verbal and written information release)
- Identifying for implementation cost saving measures and schedule reduction. (Report with evidence of cost reduction)
- Provide technical support to procurement committee during bid evaluations.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor of Sciences in in Civil Engineering or Construction Management from a reputable institution.
- A construction professional with at least 5 years’ experience in project construction management including but not limited to cost estimating, planning, scheduling, cost control, risk management, quality control and safety management.
- Entry level Construction Management skills
- Experience with contracting and procurement.
- Knowledge of standards, codes and regulations that govern construction work in Uganda, and in the construction industry at large.
- In depth knowledge of HSE systems.
- Strategic thinking and strong analytical skills.
- Flexibility, initiative, and self-motivation.
- A results-oriented approach.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Creativity and positivity in problem solving.
- Commitment to and passion for the delivery of structures to facilitate high quality Teaching and Learning.
- Flexibility to travel throughout Uganda.
- Ability to develop positive professional relationships with a range of people
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates please send a detailed Resume and Motivation letter by email to [email protected]
PEAS is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its recruitment practices and, actively seeks a diverse applicant tool to build the strongest possible workforce.
PEAS is a child sensitive environment. We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Successful candidates will therefore be required to sign up to our child protection and adult safeguarding policies upon induction.
Deadline: 19th November 2021 at 5:00pm