Job ID 22270
Job Title: Country Director
Organisation: Pangea Educational Development (PANGEA)
Duty Station: Katale, Sseguku, Uganda
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Pangea Educational Development (PANGEA) is a small non-profit organization that believes in the liberating power and opportunities provided by a quality education. Our model was developed to empower communities to improve their own educational circumstances: the school environment, livelihoods of teachers, and access for under-resourced students and to do so in a way that is sustainable. We are a community of changemakers, mixed with staff, volunteers, and community champions. Each member of our community is working towards realizing our mission by dedicating their time and skills through a wholehearted commitment to it. As a result, we are equally dedicated to those who work with us.
Job Summary: The Country Director oversees all program and organizational activities for Pangea Educational Development (PANGEA) in Uganda leading its earned income activities through Pangea Publishing. The Country Director is the face and representative of the organization in Uganda to all in and out of country partners, government entities, customers, and funders. The Country Director is responsible for the management of all persons employed by the organization in Uganda. The Country Director is directly responsible for achieving the organization’s mission at the country level. The position is based out of Kampala, but requires travel across the country.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the growth and maintenance of income streams through the acquisition of product sales, subscriptions, sponsorships, and investment to ensure enterprise sustainability.
- KPI: Sales team meets or exceeds annual book sale goal.
- KPI: Pangea Publishing meets or exceeds the annual fee-for-hire revenue goal.
- KPI: Mobile Libraries meets or exceeds the annual subscription revenue goal.
- Leads the fostering, development, and management of strategic relationships with key contacts in client organizations, partner organizations, vendors, and government entities.
- KPI: # of prospects converted into measurable relationships
- Lead Uganda country office annual and long-term organizational strategy including organizational positioning, operational structuring, and measurable social impact.
- KPI: Lead end-of-year work plan development and calendar – Due 2nd December 2022.
- KPI: Lead 2022 fiscal year budget – Due 9th December 2022.
- Oversee the management and development of products and services within each department.
- KPI: Approve all PANGEA Publishing fee-for-hire contracts and title production.
- KPI: In coordination with the CEO and COO, determine the monitoring, evaluations, and research priorities for the year and quarter.
- KPI: Approve Mobile Library subscription contracts.
- Provide leadership for the dissemination of PANGEA’s values, vision and mission at the country level and lead, direct and mentor the country programme, its staff and volunteers, in line with the organizational strategy.
- Secondary Responsibilities:
- Assist the CEO and Executive Board of Directors to compile and distribute quarterly reports on program activities, outcomes, and finances.
- KPI: Produce and country report, overviewing activities, progress towards annual goals, and finances 10 days prior to each quarterly board meeting.
- KPI: Meet with Board Chairperson to speak through prior to the meeting.
- KPI: Refine deck version of the country report prior to the board meeting and present to Executive Board of Directors.
- Assist CEO & COO with maintaining good standing of organization registration with local government
- KPI: With law firm support, submit annual filings by end of the calendar year
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in the following fields: Literature, Education, Social Sciences or related area – Required
- Five years of experience in a management role – Required
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English – Required
- Computer fluency and understanding Google Suite – Preferred
We are a community of changemakers who believe all people have the ability to learn and grow to their full potential. We are working to build a culture of learning that equips every person to be a change agent in their own story and community.
Through education, we are making a deliberate, sustainable, and substantial impact on the structural inequalities in our world, while treating each person as more than a number. We believe in authentic interactions grounded in mutual respect and a commitment to helping everyone fully realize their potential and inspire action beyond our efforts.
We are seeking an individual whose dedication to the value of education matches our own. We are seeking an individual who has a heart for empowering Ugandans to recognize the richness and importance of their cultural heritage and has a desire to share it with others. We are seeking an individual who is willing to work odd and sometimes long, exhaustive hours to do what is right and not just what is easy or will suffice. We are seeking an individual who can laugh as hard as they can work, someone who is not just looking for a job, but an avenue to pursue their passion.
Finally, we are seeking someone to join a new kind of organization – a social enterprise. Our revenue is earned and our profits are spent within Uganda’s borders. We are seeking a leader who seeks to truly blend principles of entrepreneurship and drive deep, measurable social impact.
Things We’ll Bring To The Table:
- Generous leave
- Competitive Salary
- Full benefits
- A supportive environment for your personal and professional growth
How to Apply:
All candidates should submit the following;
- Full CV
- A 1-Page Cover Letter describing your relevant experience to this position, why our mission matters to you, and how you will use your privilege to achieve it. Please type the words “I am detail-oriented” in the footer.
- Submit the above materials to [email protected]
Deadline: 23rd February 2022