Job Title: Communications Officer
Organisation: Global Health Corps (GHC)
Placement Organisation: Busoga Health Forum
Duty Station: Jinja, Uganda
Eligible Citizenship: Ugandan
Salary: Monthly Stipend 550 US Dollars
Role Code: G01-Nat
Global Health Corps pairs intelligent and passionate fellows with organizations that require new thinking and innovative solutions. We provide these young leaders with the tools to remain connected after their fellowship year finishes, deepening their ability to enact change through heightened skills and strong partnerships. We currently place fellows in Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, the United States, and Zambia.
The Busoga Health Forum (BHF) is the independent voice for health professionals in the Busoga subregion in Eastern Uganda. BHF advocates for the improvement and maintenance of personal and community health through the development of community-centered interventions and evidence-based policies. BHF is a think tank, generating evidence to drive health policies to improve the health and development of individuals in Busoga and other regions in Uganda.
BHF’s focus areas include: improvement in quality health care services, community mobilization and sensitization, training and continuous career skill development for healthcare workers, economic empowerment, adolescent sexual reproductive health, school health programs for students and pupils, immunization, nutrition, advocacy and health research.
Job Summary: The Communications Officer will improve Busoga Health Forum’s (BHF) visibility by identifying and documenting BHF’s best practices, gathering inputs from the program team to generate new materials, including quarterly and annual reports. They will reach a range of audiences including donors, government, other NGOs, and beneficiaries, through social media, local media, marketing events and programs. The Communications Officer will report to the Executive Director.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Improve and implement the existing communications and outreach strategy to raise awareness of BHF’s work with target audiences
- Enhance the visibility of BHF through the website (e.g. showcasing current projects, research, and best practices)
- Increase BHF’s social media presence by regularly publishing content on social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, WordPress)
- Create and send out a monthly newsletter
- Develop communication materials for BHF programs
- Manage public relations and promote BHF opportunities and activities through local media
- Support the BHF team to fine tune concept notes and project proposals for donors
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Experience developing communication materials for a range of audiences*
- Experience working with media contacts*
- Experience using graphic design software, such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or InDesign*
- Experience in multimedia production and social media management*
- Strong public speaking experience
- Experience managing events (e.g. coordinating logistics, contracting with vendors, and liaising with speakers)
- Experience in crisis management and media relations
- Attentive to detail
- Flexible and mature
- Innovative and willing to take initiative
Fellowship Benefits and Logistics
- Monthly living stipend: $550
- Professional development funds: $600
- Award of $1500 upon successful completion of the fellowship year
- Travel costs covered to and from GHC training and retreats
- Support in applying for visas and/or work permits, as necessary
How to Apply:
All applicants who desire to be placed by the Global Health Corps in the aforementioned organization should express interest by clearly following the instructions at the web page below.
Deadline: 12th January, 2021