Organization: Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Enterprise Applications Architect
Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit biomedical research Organization, whose mission is to mitigate disease threats through quality research, healthcare and disease surveillance. MUWRP was established in 2002 by a Memorandum of Agreement between The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. (HJF) and Makerere University (Mak) to undertake medical research to test HIV vaccines. Over the years, MUWRP’s portfolio has progressively expanded to include vaccine research for Ebola and Marburg viruses, surveillance of influenza and influenza- like viruses and other emerging infections in humans and animals; also epidemiological, basic and implementation research in HIV treatment, care and prevention programs in the Districts of Kayunga, Mukono, Buvuma and Buikwe.
Job Summary: The Applications Development Specialist will support in development of inhouse software applications.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide first line support for any existing inhouse software applications.
- Perform custom configuration to software applications.
- Perform supervised application integration, maintenance, upgrades, and migration.
- Build Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) between software applications.
- To create dashboards and visual interactive reports using Power BI.
- Implement tools for data collection and data entry relevant projects using DHIS2, REDCAP, Kobo and ODK.
- Convert isolated data silos such as Excel/Access into centralized data repositories.
- Demonstrate application prototypes and integrate user feedback.
- Writing scripts and code for applications, as well as installing and updating software applications.
- Running diagnostic tests and performing debugging procedures.
- Documenting application development processes, procedures, and standards.
- Update MUWRP website and other internal web applications such as intranet services, data entry systems.
- Prepare and make presentations to the TSS team.
- Benchmark software applications and processes from other competing vendors and institutions.
- Build highly scalable, cloud-native applications using core developer services.
- Document Change Control and Versioning of all software applications.
- Perform any other duties assigned by Supervisor or Management
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems or related field.
- Two years of experience in software development and support.
- Experience as an application developer for cloud based microservices
- Experience with software development methodologies & working in a DevOps culture.
- Experience with Business Intelligence technologies such as PowerBI
- Experience with structured query language and data storage technologies such as MySQL, POSTGRES and Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience implementing data collection tools in DHIS2, REDCAP, KOBO/ODK
How to Apply:
All qualified and interested candidates should apply online at the link below and choosing the desired position.
Deadline: 14th January 2022