Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Area Manager
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
Job Summary: The EMERGENCY Communication officer will support the communication coordinator and the humanitarian program team increase Oxfam’s visibility, enabling us to inform and influence our partners, donors, government and other stakeholders. The communication officer will be highly creative and organised with strong skills across various areas of communications including social media, writing, video, editing, photography, and event management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- With support from the humanitarian response project teams, develop and implement a 3 month communication plan to increase Oxfam humanitarian response visibility.
- Work with the humanitarian response project teams in documenting of the closing projects (DGD Belgium, ECHO, UNHCR, and Innovation) by collecting and compiling stories of change to share the impact of our work.
- Continuously support in editing of stories gathered by the field teams and have them shared with the communication team in Kampala.
- Provide support and guidance to the service provider during documentation of case stories (photography and videography) in southwestern and west Nile responses for the closing projects.
- Support in reviewing the consolidated monthly situation reports (SITREPS) for the humanitarian response, and ensure timely sharing for sign off and circulation.
- In accordance with donor visibility requirements, support the logistic team in reviewing the art works and designs of the visibility materials to be procured for Oxfam humanitarian response.
- Ensure that Oxfam interventions across the settlements are showcased successfully across the different media platforms (face book, Oxfam website, twitter, Flickr, YouTube and Oxfam intranets) as well as to the donors.
- Manage Oxfam brand ensuring that staff and service providers are consistent with usage in line with Oxfam values
- Continuously build the capacity of the project team in story gathering, photography and videography.
- Identify and utilize media opportunities to disseminate project impact
- Compile and produce a humanitarian overview showcasing the humanitarian initiatives and the impact
- Any other task as assigned by the line manager, or matrix manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must have at least two years’ experience of working in emergency and development context projects, in media and communications.
- Proven experience of coordinating communication projects from design to completion including evaluating impact.
- Excellent writing, editing, designing and photography skills.
- Ability to read, synthesis information to produce clear, well written summaries
- Experience in video editing and design – ideally with experience in Adobe software
- Demonstrated social media experience at a high level
- Strong commitment to gender equality and social justice, including to the aims and objectives of Oxfam.
- Ability to work under pressure, ability to prioritize and commitment to meet deadlines.
- Potential and flexibility of attitude to learn and take on new tasks.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Bachelor’s degree in mass Communication, Journalism or a related field from a recognized University.
- Experience of developing and implementing communication plans including advocacy, media and programme.
- Experience of working with donor funded projects will have an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.