Job Title: Evaluation Associate (Fresher Jobs)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy. We tackle youth unemployment by partnering with schools and governments to reform what schools teach and how they teach it, so that students in Africa have the skills to attain further education, overcome gender inequities, start businesses, get jobs and drive development in their communities. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
Job Summary: Educate! is seeking a driven, organized, and collaborative Evaluation Associate to design and manage research and evaluation projects, build research partnerships, and analyze and disseminate the results of our research. In ten years of operating in East Africa, one of Educate!’s differentiating factors has been our commitment to impact evaluation and learning, and we believe that continuing to invest in research & development is a key component of continued growth and innovation. As Evaluation Associate, you’ll work closely with our Director of Monitoring and Evaluation and country M&E teams, as well as with our programs, design, and innovation teams, to implement our ambitious evaluation and learning strategy across three countries.
The right person for this role will have at least 2 years of work experience, have taken courses in statistics or econometrics, and have either a master’s degree or equivalent work experience in a field like M&E, research methods, or public policy. You’ll be an ultra-organized and self-motivated planner and project manager, capable of keeping multiple balls in the air with limited supervision, and a collaborative team player who can build relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders and engage team members over whom you won’t have direct authority. You’ll also be fluent in Microsoft excel and STATA (or other data analysis software) and bring strong skills in research and evaluation design, quantitative and qualitative analysis, and writing.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Research & Evaluation Design
- Support design of qualitative and quantitative evaluation and research projects to answer pressing program and policy questions, working closely with our design, innovation, and national programs teams to ensure that evaluation and research projects meet the needs of the intended user
- Coordinate measurement and tool design to ensure evaluation and research precisely measures target outcomes including teacher pedagogy adoption and quality, student-level soft and hard skills, and economic and life outcomes.
- Collaborate with country Monitoring and Evaluation teams programs to integrate monitoring data into evaluations
Research & Evaluation Management
- Plan and project-manage research and evaluation projects, including evaluations run internally and with external consultants.
- Ensure that research and evaluation projects are well-planned and coordinated with other team priorities, and that projects proceed on time with course corrections as needed
- Ensure all research and evaluation projects adhere to best practices for delivering high quality, fit-for-purpose research
- Oversee research-focused interactions with government partners and ensure that the priorities of our government partners are considered in each step of research process
- Work on cross-functional teams that strategically plan and execute research to further Educate!’s advocacy and learning agendas government partnership and advocacy
Research Analysis and Dissemination
- Analyze and package the results of research and evaluation to facilitate action by internal and external stakeholders, including Educate!’s Design and Program Implementation teams as well as government partners and funders, and provide useful information for government partners and funders
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis of data from internally-conducted evaluations, under the direction of the Director of Monitoring and Evaluation
- Interpret and summarize, under the direction of the Evaluation Director, complex research and evaluations for program, government, and funder audiences
- Produce policy briefs and user-friendly presentations for program and policy audiences
- Support and lead learning processes to ensure that results and findings from internally and externally conducted evaluations are fed back into program design
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in related field such as M&E, research methods, public policy, or education
- Coursework in econometrics or statistics
- Two to five years of work experience including internships and fellowships
- Fluency with excel as well as STATA or other quantitative data analysis software
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Collaborative team player, able to work with and engage a diverse range of external and internal partners spread across multiple countries
- Organized, detail-oriented self-starter
- Willing to travel frequently and/or for significant time periods within East Africa (the role can be based in, Kigali, or Kampala, with up to 25% – 50% of time spent outside of the main duty station)
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.