Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Support Services Manager
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The Finance and Administration Assistant will facilitate the efficient and effective financial operation and administration roles of DRC field office and ensure compliance with DRC rules and regulations as described in the Operations Handbook (OH) alongside donor policies, procedures, guidelines and rules
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support in all the administrative and clerical duties as pertain to the office and respond to inquiries.
- Ensures cleanliness and decorum of the office premises and surrounding.
- Monitor and control the utilization of office consumables and stationery
- Assist in maintaining and updating the Inventory / Asset list of the organization
- Ensures office equipment and premises are in a usable condition
- Support Finance and Admin officer in HR aspects including payroll updates, leave tracking, travel and orientation planning at field level.
- Support Finance and Admin Officer in ensuring staff are familiar with DRC complaints mechanism.
- Support in the Management, Supervision and capacity building for staffs
- Ensure that staff upholds the DRC’s Code of Conduct.
- Support in recruitment process of community Based Incentive workers and Volunteers.
- Receive, check the eligibility of invoices presented in payment, identifying mistakes and missing documentation to be completed in compliance with DRC procurement procedures and budget monitoring;
- Accurately prepare the necessary documents, compile source documents and submit complete documentation to the Finance Assistant daily for postings of all the paid transactions in the cash book
- Check the justification of operational advances before making payment and ensure of the settlement in a reasonable time.
- Track cash advances and ensure no outstanding advance for over a period of a month
- Ensure monthly scanning of the accounting documents and save them on finance hard drive
- Update monthly the scan report and share it with the Senior Accountant Officer and Finance Manager.
- Ensure that the withholding taxes is well calculated, recorded in the cash book and paid at monthly basis.
- Participate in audits preparation/execution (compilation of audit requirements)
- Implement financial policies and procedures in accordance with DRC Operational Handbook.
- Makes all payments, process approved payments of supplier / service provider invoices on the basis of complete documentation for bank and cash.
- Makes/ responsible for all field cash transactions, physically makes payments in the field /or follow up closely on proper accountabilities for all field cash expenditures
- Prepares Payment Vouchers for all payments.
- Establish the cash requirements, and maintain adequate cash levels and related cash controls, safe custody of safe keys
- Responsible for banking activities and ensure custody of available funds
- Maintain financial files (physical and soft copies) and records according to DRC Operations hand book.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Finance and Administration Assistant job must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Financial/Business management.
- Post-secondary school Diploma
- Intermediate level training in accounting
- Addition Professional qualification such as ACCA, CPA or CMA is desirable
- At least one year of experience working in local or international Non-Governmental (INGO)
- A minimum of 1 year of relevant professional experience in general accounting, finance, and clerical experience is needed
- Ability to work closely and effectively in a team to achieve work priorities and objectives.
- Enthusiasm as a team player, who is flexible, always ready to take on new challenges and drives for results in a dynamic environment
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and deliver under pressure
- A Good Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Etc.) is considerable
- Working experience with relevant donors (e.g. UNHCR, ECHO, OFDA, WFP, DFID or BPRM guidelines)
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Flexibility to travel to field locations periodically
- Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of Alur, Lugbara, Luo, Madi and other local languages widely spoken in West Nile region is an advantage.
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified candidates should apply online at the link below
Deadline: 31st December 2021