Job Title: HIS Data Analyst (Fresher NGO Jobs)
Organisation: Global Programs for Research & Training
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: HIS Sr Software Developer
For decades, University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) researchers have partnered with governments, local agencies, non-government organizations and US government agencies in other countries to address health issues from the HIV epidemic, malaria and TB to surgery, orthopedics and maternal and child health.
Job Summary: The HIS Data Analyst will primarily work on the Master Patient Index (MPI) project for the Namibia HIS award (NAMTAC), specifically performing data science work using electronic medical records to develop and refine algorithms for structured and unstructured data to match patients across various electronic data sources.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Data Management, Analysis, and Interpretation:
- Consult and collaborate with public health professionals using statistical, data science techniques in the collection, linkage, processing, coding, classification, and analysis of administrative health data, particularly patient identifier information.
- Provide technical expertise to data acquisition and management, and development of statistical modelling as needed for matching algorithms.
- Assist in monitoring data quality issues related to user data products and collaborate with Information technology professionals to develop automated systems and tools to process, clean, de-duplicate, and verify data integrity.
- Ensure successful automation of running scripts and troubleshoot as needed.
- Develop periodic reports on findings and recommendations on data sources to the UPID platform.
- Preparing PowerPoint presentations for data reviews, and stakeholder reports.
- Ensuring quality of data by conducting regular data validation checks.
Patient Record Matching Processes:
- Lead the development and management of scripts for large patient data merging, matching, and duplication using a variety of deterministic and/or probabilistic methodologies.
- Examine data elements and standards with a view to improving patient matching.
- Modifying and documenting algorithms to improve patient matching.
- Lead the process to determine tolerance levels for weighting thresholds for patient matching, keep track of changes, and document decision rules.
- Review source data to fine-tune algorithms based on the unique aspects of patient populations.
- Query source data sets to verify sensitivity and specificity of patient matching processes.
- Assisting the MPI project team and local partners in tracking progress to setting up a central duplicated patient data set.
- Collecting, organizing, and analysing patient related data using a variety of software tools with a view to revising and adjusting algorithms to improve patient matching.
- Support development team by participating in MPI systems testing, validating against source data systems, and providing feedback to further improve patient matching algorithms.
- Develop standard operating procedures (SOPs) and train users on process to link or delink patient records.
- Work with stakeholders to reach consensus on the format of a unique patient identifier.
- Generate unique patient identifier (UPID) for national level de-duplicated patient data.
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Management
- Monitor data flow into the MPI and quality of source data.
- Investigate anomalies and quality alerts.
- Resolve issues or escalate when required.
- Validate matching is working as expected.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a graduate degree in Epidemiology, Statistics (or Biostatistics), Applied Mathematics, Data Science, or similar Bachelor’s degree
- A Master’s degree is strongly preferred
- A minimum of four years’ working experience in data management or analysis with large datasets;
- Must possess excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills;
- Exceptional quantitative analysis abilities and experience;
- A critical thinker with strong problem solving and decision-making skills with strong statistical knowledge;
- Ability to interact professionally, maintain relationships with key stakeholders and provide clear technical goals;
- Must exhibit a high degree of professional excellence characterized by sound judgment, initiative, a high standard of ethics and willingness to travel as and when required;
- Must be IT savvy, willingness to learn a new system is strongly desired;
- Knowledge of analytical software, especially R (and potentially others such as SPSS, STATA, SAS) and/or data matching platforms;
- Advanced SQL skills for data management;
- Familiarity with deterministic and probabilistic matching methodologies strongly preferred.
How to Apply:
All candidates must submit their CV in English, accompanied by a letter of application, to the email: [email protected] Please indicate the title of the position in the “subject” of the email and in the cover letter.
Deadline: 3rd December 2021