Job Title: Information Security Officer
Organization: Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Digital Solutions Architect
Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit biomedical research Organization, whose mission is to mitigate disease threats through quality research, health care and disease surveillance. MUWRP was established in 2002 by a Memorandum of Agreement between The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. (HJF) and Makerere University (Mak) to undertake medical research to test HIV vaccines. Over the years, MUWRP’s portfolio has progressively expanded to include vaccine research for Ebola and Marburg viruses, surveillance of influenza and influenza- like viruses and other emerging infections in humans and animals; also epidemiological, basic and implementation research in HIV treatment, care and prevention programs in the Districts of Kayunga, Mukono, Buvuma and Buikwe.
Job Summary: The Information Security Officer will support data assurance, regulatory compliance and safeguards of ICT systems.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Data Security Management
- Manage Primary Endpoint and Network Security Platforms and subject all access rules, policies and SOPs for approvals
- Provide guidance in defining objectives for data security.
- Manage institution-wide information security governance processes
- Stay abreast of information security issues and internal compliance changes affecting and national level laws and regulations.
- Implement and test Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plans
Policy, Compliance and Audit
- Develop effective and reasonable policies and practices to secure protected/sensitive data and ensure information security and compliance with relevant legislation and legal interpretation.
- Work with Internal Audit and external consultants as appropriate on required security assessments and audits.
Outreach, Education and Training
- Create education and awareness programs and advise operating units at all levels on security issues, best practices, and vulnerabilities
- Work with all staff, internal TSS project groups and sections such as Infrastructure & Applications Development Managers to build awareness and a sense of common purpose around security.
- Pursue security initiatives to address unique needs in protecting identity theft, mobile social media security and online reputation program
Risk Management and Incident Response
- Document security incidents and act as primary control point during significant information security incidents. Convene a Security Incident Response Team (SIRT) as needed, or requested, in addressing and investigating security incidents that arise.
- Develop, implement and administer technical security standards, as well as a suite of security services and tools to address and mitigate security risks.
- Monitor compliance with security standards and appropriate policies. through appropriate technological and administrative controls. Implement standardized logging of all active network devices.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should at least hold a Degree in Information Security, Data/Cyber Security, Computer Science, IT, Computer Engineering
- Professional Certifications and Training in Security, Data Assurance (Sec+) are a plus.
- At least two years’ experience in Security computing and information security, network security issues, and security incident response and recovery, Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery.
- Working knowledge and experience in the legal, policy and regulatory environment of information security and health care/medical research is highly desirable.
How to Apply:
All qualified and interested candidates should apply online at the link below and choosing the desired position.
Deadline: 14th January 2022