Job ID 33019
Job Title: Project Officer (Architect) (Fresher Jobs)
Organisation: United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is mandated by the UN general assembly to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and expand their opportunities to reach their full potential. Together with our partners, we work in 190 countries and territories to translate that commitment into practical action, focusing special effort on reaching the most vulnerable and excluded children, to the benefit of all children, everywhere.
Job Summary: To provide technical expertise and ensure compliance with the design of the project, UNICEF/WFP wishes to recruit a competent and experienced Project Officer (Architect) with an Architectural/Engineering background, and familiar with large building infrastructure projects to work closely with the Project Manager and Project Management Team. The post essentially involves liaising with a Design Company and giving support in every respect to the Project Manager by providing local knowledge and expertise and ultimately help to control the Time, Cost and Quality of the project.
The Project Officer (Architect) reports to the Project Manager as per the Country Office (CO) set-up and is responsible for providing technical support to construction of the UNICEF/WFP Office Premises on Mbuya. The technical support includes support to project and contract management, as well as monitoring of construction works on site. The incumbent collaborates closely with the different stakeholders and provides local knowledge and expertise to help meet the needs of the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaboration with UNICEF/WFP project management team and coordination with Design and Construction Company;
- Provide technical support in matter of construction project management and coordination to project management team and stakeholders.
- Prepare PPT presentations on projects progress and communicate with project management team.
- Undertake follow-up actions in relation to project implementation and monitoring.
- Review design and technical documents;
- Provide assistance in checking technical documents related to construction (design drawings, technical specifications and bills of quantities) and verify whether they are clear, accurate and complete.
- Verify compliance of design and technical documents with UNICEF/WFP needs, norms and standards (accessibility, greening, MOSS, MORSS, etc.) taking into consideration the local environment and available materials.
- Ensure that all shop-drawings are submitted on time for review, inputs and approval by the project management team prior to initiating relevant works in the site.
- Follow up with the designing firms and government entities for obtaining specific permits, if required, for construction activities during the execution of works.
- Support to project management;
- Assist Project Manager in project management activities relevant to project progress; potential variations, undertake appropriate actions to overcome technical obstacles.
- Prepare reports on projects progress.
- Provide assistance to UNICEF Contract Administrator on contract management, amendments, variations, duration extensions, applying liquidated damages, etc.; Compile and archive project documents, minutes, correspondence, instructions, etc.
- Monitoring of the construction project;
- Participate in the kick-off meeting of construction works with the construction company, the engineering firm and relevant government counterparts.
- Provide close monitoring on construction activities by undertaking regular site visits and conducting regular technical meetings including joint monitoring with relevant Government technical services; follow up progress for each activity per milestones and review site supervision reports to ensure work compliance with norms, standards, and timeline; verify quality and precautions on health and safety standards on ground.
- Use effective monitoring and supervision tools to ensure easily assessment of works quality, progress, and performance of engineering firms and construction companies during the entire duration of the project.
- Certify payments/variations and compile supporting documents; monitor construction expenditures and progress certificates; prepare and maintain relevant table for each construction activity.
- Participate in the partial, substantial and final reception of works after verifying the correction of all defects during the DLP; prepare and issue relevant certificates.
- Prepare Contract Performance Evaluation; provide assistance to UNICEF Contract Administrator on contract close-out in VISION; draft the final completion report with the lessons learned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Project Officer (Architect) job should hold a university degree is required in Architecture, Engineering or related field is required. Professional certification or Master’s degree in architecture or engineering would be an asset.
- A minimum of two years of relevant experience, at the national and/or international levels, in project monitoring, site supervision, quality assurance and/or other directly related technical fields is required.
- Experience or qualifications in Project management would be advantageous.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
- UNICEF’s values: Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below
Deadline: 21st March 2023
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.hrandjobs.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Ugashare
|Hiring Organization||United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)|
|Job Location||, , Kampala, 0256, Uganda|