Job ID 33024
Job Title: Operations Analyst (Fresher Jobs)
Organisation: World Bank Group (WBG)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The World Bank is a vital source of financial and technical assistance to developing countries around the world. The World Bank provides low-interest loans, zero to low-interest credits, and grants to developing countries. These support a wide array of investments in such areas as education, health, public administration, infrastructure, financial and private sector development, agriculture, and environmental and natural resource management. Some of our projects are co-financed with governments, other multilateral institutions, commercial banks, export credit agencies, and private sector investors.
Job Summary: An Operations Analyst is required to support the Uganda Country Management Unit (CMU) in undertaking substantive operational and implementation support tasks with respect to the Bank financed portfolio – currently US$5.6 Billion in IDA commitments including financing from the Window for Host Communities and Refugees, the Regional Window and a significant Trust Fund portfolio. The Operations Analyst will support the Country Manager and the Senior Operations Officers to conduct country-specific monitoring and reporting on the Uganda program and maintain up-to-date information on portfolio performance for Uganda in close collaboration with task team leaders and under the supervision of the Senior Operations Officer.
The objective of this assignment is to undertake substantive operational and implementation support tasks with respect to the World Bank (WB) supported Programs in Uganda. The Operations Analyst will conduct regular monitoring, analysis and reporting on the WB portfolio (Projects, Trust Funds and Knowledge products) in Uganda.
The Operations Analyst will provide analytical and operational support, including assisting with overall information management, such as: data gathering, developing a dashboard, preparing monthly portfolio updates; as well as making recommendations on portfolio quality assurance and monitoring investment compliance and reporting.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Operations Analyst will have specific responsibilities, which include, but are not limited to the following:
Research, Analytics and Reports:
- S/he will be the ‘go-to’ person for data, research, and analytical work as well as operational and resource support.
- Conduct research, analysis, and compile information from the Bank’s data platforms for example Standard Reports and/or Business Intelligence for feeding into portfolio reports.
- Using World Bank systems, develop and update a portfolio (IDA, TF, WHR) dashboard, and compile regular updates for planning, monitoring and decision-making purposes.
- The Operations Analyst will undertake the following tasks:
- Drawing from World Bank operational systems such as SAP, Standard Reports, Operations Portal, Business Intelligence, etc.,
- Prepare the portfolio reports and analyze implementation performance of the Bank’s portfolio (including IDA, TFs and WHR) in Uganda.
- Support the CMU in preparation of briefing materials on the country program, including briefs for management and minutes of various meetings, Annual and Spring Meetings Briefs, etc.
- Produce portfolio data as an input to CMU deliverables such as the Systematic Country Diagnostic (SCD), Country Partnership Framework (CPF), Performance and Learning Review (PLR), Completion and Learning Review (CLR), regular briefs to management and briefs for high level events.
- Provide portfolio tables and data required for various purposes such as portfolio review meetings and any follow-up work (minutes and action plan); monitor action plans and follow up on outstanding issues from the meetings.
- Develop a dashboard for portfolio management to allow the CMU and TTLs to take proactive and timely action on the portfolio (projects and ASAs).
Operational Support to the Country Team and Portfolio Monitoring:
- Under the guidance of the Senior Operations Officer, draft sections of briefing notes and country strategy documents and provide other inputs into business plans, work program agreements, mid-year and retrospective and mid-year reviews.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Operations Officer, collect and analyze information to support effective monitoring of portfolio operations.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Operations Officer, prepare and implement training sessions on data analysis and portfolio reporting for Country offices teams (including ACS) working on portfolio operations.
- In coordination with the Senior Operations Officer and Operational teams, support development of office operational guidelines and dissemination of knowledge across the Country office.
- In coordination with the Senior Operations Officer, interface with key staff in project implementation teams/units in counterpart agencies to gather data for portfolio performance reporting and management.
- Other tasks that arise in supporting the day-to-day operations of the Uganda Country Management Office.
- Provide input for CMU comments on Project documentation (e.g Aide Memoires, Implementation Status Reports (ISR) and general correspondence) for finalization by the Senior Operations Officer. Conduct regular monitoring of the CPF using the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) tool. Work with TTLs
- Support the Bank’s dialogue and partnership with Government of Uganda including following up with Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development (MoFPED) on various activities relevant to the Bank.
- Track operational action points coming to the Front office; including queries and complaints handling.
- Participate in Bank missions as required.
- Participate in relevant training to gain and maintain knowledge of Bank operational policies, guidelines, systems and portfolio issues.
- Support the Senior Operations Officer in any other relevant functions, as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the World Bank Operations Analyst job must hold a Master’s degree in a relevant field/discipline (e.g. Economics, Business Administration, Political Science, Finance, International Relations, Social Science or similar field relevant to the Bank’s mission).
- At least two years of relevant experience.
- This position is well suited for a self-motivated, highly responsive, and well-organized individual that is not only comfortable working with complex data sets – but is also creative in interpreting data and preparing meaningful and insightful presentations. The candidate should have strong analytical skills and experience in financial and data analysis, data reporting, and presenting findings in power point format. The candidate should also have strong organizing skills to manage and implement portfolio activities in a timely manner.
- Extremely dynamic, results-oriented, and action focused with a can-do attitude focused on immediate problem solving.
- Knowledge of Government of Uganda systems and donor coordination mechanisms, including the donor project approval mechanisms in Uganda.
- Proven ability to think strategically and demonstrated political sensitivity and mature judgment, with an ability to navigate a challenging environment.
- Outstanding inter-personal skills with proven ability to work cooperatively with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated initiative, leadership skills, and drive for results including ability to undertake a diversity of tasks within a rapidly changing and demanding environment on short deadlines.
- Highly developed spoken and written communications skills including the ability to draft concise reports, minutes, briefs, and correspondence skills.
- Excellent working knowledge and understanding of the WBG organization and its range of available financial instruments (e.g., IBRD loans, IDA credits and grants, trust funds).
- Demonstrated experience working in operations with a clear understanding of the project and country engagement life cycle and Bank operational policies and procedures.
- Good familiarity and ease of working with the Bank’s data and reporting systems, such as SAP, Standard Reports, and the Operations Portal.
- Good familiarity and understanding of Bank’s lending portfolio performance measurement and analytics.
- Full proficiency in data handling and ability to work quickly in Excel, particularly with creating data driven visuals and using advanced formulas e.g. pivot tables.
- Ability to carry out research and analytical tasks on a wide range of operational and country issues, review and interpret information/data, identify trends and issues, and recommend actions/solutions.
- Excellent writing skills and capacity to prepare briefs/presentations using Word/PowerPoint.
- Capacity to work with tact and diplomacy with staff at all levels, often under tight time pressure in a busy environment.
- Proven ability to work both independently and in diverse teams, including with colleagues in various Global Practices, with minimal supervision and with high levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Proficiency in English (both verbal and written).
NB: The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online at the link below
Deadline: 27th March 2023
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.hrandjobs.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Ugashare
|Hiring Organization||World Bank|
|Job Location||, , Kampala, 0256, Uganda|