Job ID 23912
Job Title: GIS and Statistics Officer
Organisation: Target Malaria
Duty Station: UVRI campus in Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Target Malaria Head of Department/ PI
Working hours: This is a full-time position (40 hours per week minimum)
Length of Appointment: Until 31 January 2023 (renewable) with six months’ probation
The Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) is a leading health research institution in Uganda, based in Entebbe. Amongst other projects, it is a member of the Target Malaria consortium. Target Malaria is a non-for-profit research consortium that wants to contribute to saving millions of lives from malaria. It includes African, European and North American scientists with a focus on the most malaria-affected countries – currently working in Burkina Faso, Mali and Uganda. The consortium includes a diversity of researchers – molecular biologists, medical entomologists, population geneticists, protein engineers, social sciences researchers as well as risk, regulatory and stakeholder engagement experts.
Our teams are researching approaches that can reduce the numbers of mosquitoes that spread malaria, which would help complement existing control methods. Our research is at an early stage, and while results so far have been promising, there is still a long way to go. By reducing the population of the malaria mosquito, we aim to combat transmission of the disease. The control method would be a long-term, sustainable, and cost effective solution to prevent malaria. This project started a decade ago with a funding from the Grand Challenges in Global Health initiative and is now funding through a program of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The project is led by the following values:
- To achieve excellence in all areas of its work, creating a path for responsible research and development of genetic technologies
- To co-develop both technologies and the associated knowledge base
- To ensure its work is evidence-driven so it can deliver safe and effective technologies
- To be open and accountable in how it works, in its relationships and in its decisions
For more information, please visit www.targetmalaria.org
A deep commitment to the mission of developing and sharing new, cost-effective and sustainable genetic technologies to modify mosquitoes and reduce malaria transmission is required.
Job Summary: Target Malaria Uganda is seeking to recruit a GIS and Statistics Officer. This new position has been created to support the team in handling all GIS related work as well as general data handling from Designing tools, Databases, Data analysis and interpretation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The GIS and Statistics Officer will be responsible and accountable for the following aspects:
- GIS data digitization
- GIS data analysis
- Spatial Mapping
- Developing data collection tools and databases
- Supporting with developing research methodology and correct analysis
- Supporting with Data analysis and interpretation
- Support the work of PhD and Masters students, as well as visitors.
- Any other duties related to the post as deemed appropriate by the Principal Investigator Conducting study experiments to optimize mosquito feeding and rearing protocols.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
To be successful in this role you must possess the following:
- At least an Honors Degree in Bachelor of Statistics, Bachelors in Population Studies, BSc. Economics with Statistics, BSc. Quantitative Economics, BSc Mathematics and Economics, Mathematics with Education or Business Statistics; A Master’s Degree in any of the above discipline is an added advantage.
- Work experience: Minimum of 3 years working experience in data management, programming and analysis position in the health field and in advanced analysis using either SPSS, SAS, STATA or any other statistical software is required. Some experience in GIS data digitization, analysis and spatial mapping.
- Skills Required: Conversant with GIS data digitization, analysis and mapping, Statistical designs and analysis, In-depth, comprehensive, and evolving knowledge of statistical and mathematical analysis techniques integrated with computer applications.
- Higher mathematical ability with a solid background in statistics and the calculus of probability is required. Knowledge of parametric and non-parametric techniques, along with categorical data analysis, and advanced statistical techniques.
- Publication track: At least 2 publications in peer reviewed journals
- Professional membership: Affiliation with International or National appropriate bodies will be an added advantage
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
How to Apply:
All applications must be in English and include a Curriculum Vitae, a cover letter explaining why this position is attractive and why your profile fits, and three references. Interested candidates should submit their applications marked: “GIS and Statistics Officer” – Target Malaria” to:
Uganda Virus Research Institute
P.O. Box 49 Entebbe. Uganda
Email to: [email protected]
OR: hand-deliver to his office at Plot 51-59, Nakiwogo Road, Entebbe.
This Vacancy is Open to Nationals of Uganda.
Deadline: 4th April 2022
NB: We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.