Job Title: Global Logistics Officer
Organisation: Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda (with visits to the respective Country Offices)
Reports to: GSU Global Logistics Manager (first line supervisor)
Country office: Global Support Unit
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance services, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting mostly health projects worldwide. The Global Logistics Officer is a national staff position within Johanniter International Assistance’s Global Support Unit based in Kampala, Uganda.
Job Summary: The GSU Global Logistics Officer will be responsible for contributing to the GSU’s objective of providing 2nd level control in compliance on operational Logistics across all Johanniter Project. This will require attention to detail in Country Office voucher verification and the ability to perform qualitative analysis of conformity to Logistics processes. S/he will be responsible to help the HQ Logistics Desk ensure that the organizational Logistics strategy is delivered through a global support operating model which complies with Johanniter Logistics Environments guidance and overall organizational objectives.
S/he will provide guidance and support to Country Offices’ Logistics teams and Johanniter partner organizations with a focus on ensuring compliance with donor and Johanniter guidelines. S/he will provide assistance for Country Offices and their partners (where applicable) to be accountable for their responsibilities, and to ensure that effective Logistics principles and protocols are in place.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide 2ND level control and technical capacity development for Country Office staff:
- Support the Global Logistics Manager in the implementation of Global Logistics Management and Reporting Structures, with full involvement of all key stakeholders, specifically in assuring second level control
- Responsible for review of documentation for procurements, inventory, insurance and asset management of goods and services (second level control)
- Review monthly closing checklists, with reconciliations prepared by each Country Office to ensure completeness
- On a monthly basis, review the quality of vouchers uploaded on SharePoint/4JUH, and propose corrections/amendments where necessary
- Review Logistics financial booking lists against vouchers on a monthly basis, ensuring expenditures are booked under their correct respective budgets, and propose corrections/amendments where necessary
- Review and ensure that internal Logistics reports are in line with the relevant reporting requirements
- Work closely with HQ Logistics Desk and Country Offices to improve Logistics systems and processes in project countries
- Support Country Offices with partner Logistics assessments and review partner policies and processes regarding procurement issues
- Support Country Offices to help ensure quality is maintained in all aspects of Logistics management
- Assist in designing/revising Logistics guidelines, templates and training manuals
Capacity Development (45%)
The Global Logistics Officer supports staff in Country Offices to be able to manage their own Logistics and further support staff in their partner organizations:
- Assist with the support of Country Offices to ensure Logistics policies are fully implemented across all countries of operation
- Give feedback and recommendations to Logistics staff and focal points in Country Offices and partner organizations to ensure common standards are maintained
- Review controls of Country Offices and partner organizations and provide feedback, technical support, guidance and recommendations
- Periodically visit Country Offices to deliver trainings, assist with the use of existing tools, and contextualize existing guidelines for use at the country level
- Ensure Logistics staff in Country Offices, partners and non-Logistics staff increase their awareness and competence regarding Logistics issues
- Provide feedback to Country Offices and HQ regarding procurement processes and quality of documentation
- Stand-in for Global Logistics Manager or Global Logistics Coordinator when required
- Any other task as required by Global Logistics Manager, Global Support Unit and HQ Logistics Desk Support the cash forecasting system to ensure that adequate funds are available to meet monthly working requirements.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university (preferably in Logistics/Procurement or minimum 4 years Logistics/procurement experience)
- Experience with conforming to external donor requirements (e.g. AA, BMZ, ECHO, USAID) and statutory compliance requirements
- Solid understanding of Logistics processes
- Proven experience in delivering trainings for Logistics and non-Logistics staff
- High degree of computer literacy desirable
- Experience in working with partner organizations (capacity development)
- Understanding of humanitarian programming
- Ability to work well within a multi-cultural staff in multiple and remote locations
- Excellent communication skills, orally and in writing, with the ability to present Logistics matters to all stakeholders including non-Logistics managers
- Knowledge and experience of modern Logistics framework
- Self-motivated with the ability to adapt to new situations and needs
- Ability to work in a team and motivate colleagues and staff of partner organizations
- Willingness to travel, when necessary
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Proficiency in written and/or spoken French, Spanish, or Portuguese beneficial
Note: This Job Description is dynamic and can be adapted. The employee is obliged, apart from the above cited tasks, to fulfil, on demand by his/her supervisor, other tasks that belong by its character to the post or are necessary due to operational needs.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates please send Applications (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of 3 former supervisors as well as education and employment certificates) should be sent to: [email protected] Please indicate “Global Logistics Officer” in the subject of your email.
Only complete applications will be considered, and only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Deadline: Monday 13th December, 2021