Job ID 23916
Job Title: Insectary Research Associate
Organisation: Target Malaria
Duty Station: UVRI campus in Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Target Malaria Insectary Manager
Working hours: This is a full-time position (40 hours per week minimum)
Length of Appointment: Until 31 January 2023 with six months’ probation
The Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) is a leading health research institution in Uganda, based in Entebbe. Amongst other projects, it is a member of the Target Malaria consortium. Target Malaria is a non-for-profit research consortium that wants to contribute to saving millions of lives from malaria. It includes African, European and North American scientists with a focus on the most malaria-affected countries – currently working in Burkina Faso, Mali and Uganda. The consortium includes a diversity of researchers – molecular biologists, medical entomologists, population geneticists, protein engineers, social sciences researchers as well as risk, regulatory and stakeholder engagement experts.
Our teams are researching approaches that can reduce the numbers of mosquitoes that spread malaria, which would help complement existing control methods. Our research is at an early stage, and while results so far have been promising, there is still a long way to go. By reducing the population of the malaria mosquito, we aim to combat transmission of the disease. The control method would be a long-term, sustainable, and cost-effective solution to prevent malaria. This project started a decade ago with a funding from the Grand Challenges in Global Health initiative and is now funding through a program of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The project is led by the following values:
- To achieve excellence in all areas of its work, creating a path for responsible research and development of genetic technologies
- To co-develop both technologies and the associated knowledge base
- To ensure its work is evidence-driven so it can deliver safe and effective technologies
- To be open and accountable in how it works, in its relationships and in its decisions
Job Summary: Target Malaria Uganda is seeking to recruit a Research Associate. This new position has been created to support the UVRI insectary team to undertake ancillary laboratory studies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Insectary Research Associate will work with UVRI insectary team to undertake ancillary laboratory studies which will include; Colony feeding methods optimizations, Colony rearing methods automations, Support SOPs and protocol development, Support running of contained laboratory experiments and participate in Manuscript preparations
The Insectary Research Associate will be responsible and accountable for the following aspects:
- Conducting study experiments to optimize mosquito feeding and rearing protocols.
- Support in-depth look into mosquito rearing, make/use of artificial diet and media, and other technical duties as required.
- Help establish mosquito colony adapted to alternative blood source.
- Conducting lab analysis to support post field collection sample processing.
- Support development and or localization of various study Protocols/ SOPs.
- Support data analysis and write ups for publications in peer-reviewed journals; and presentation of findings at local, national and international conferences.
- Facilitate work in an ACL-2 conscious manner and assist the manager maintain regulatory approvals.
- Work in a congenial and supportive manner with the dedicated staff on this and related projects.
- Support the work of PhD and Masters students, as well as visitors. Any other duties related to the post as deemed appropriate by the Principal Investigator
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an M.Sc. in Medical entomology or related field (e.g. Zoology, Ecology, Molecular biology etc.)
- At least two years of actual research experience gained from working/ Interning at reputable Institution/s
- Conversant with molecular techniques, handling applications requiring bio-containment, conference/ workshop presentation
- Publication track: At least 3 publications in peer reviewed journals (with at least 2 of them as 1st Author)
- Professional membership: Affiliation with International or National entomological or health societies will be an advantage
- Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
How to Apply:
All applications must be in English and include a Curriculum Vitae, a cover letter explaining why this position is attractive and why your profile fits, and three references.
Interested candidates should submit their applications marked: “Insectary Research Associate” – Target Malaria” to:
Uganda Virus Research Institute
P.O. Box 49 Entebbe. Uganda
Email to: [email protected]
OR: hand-deliver to his office at Plot 51-59, Nakiwogo Road, Entebbe.
This Vacancy is Open to Nationals of Uganda.
NB: We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 14th April 2022