Job Title: Legal Manager
Organisation: KCB Bank Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
KCB Bank Uganda which is part of KCB Group, East Africa’s largest commercial bank that was established in 1896. Over the years, the Bank has grown and spread its wings into Tanzania, South Sudan, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi completing the East African circuit in the year 2012. Today, the Group has the largest branch network in the region with over 238 branches, 950 ATMs and 8,000 agents offering banking services on a 24/7 basis in East Africa. KCB Bank Uganda was established in the year 2007 and has grown to become one of Uganda’s top ten commercial banks. Currently KCB Bank Uganda has 14 branches complemented with 16 ATMs spread on Kampala Road, Commercial Plaza, Ben Kiwanuka, Luwum Street, Oasis Mall Sixth Street, Arua, Elgon Masaba, Fort Portal, Gulu, Hoima, Lira, Mbarara and Jinja that offer trade financing, corporate and retail banking services to customers.
Job Summary: The Legal Manager will be responsible for handling perfection of Legal/Credit documentation relating to approved facilities by providing high level quality support to the Credit department, business teams and related units, while also providing independent control over the credit documentation process. The jobholder shall also provide support and/or mange potential litigation issues as well as litigation cases filed by or against the Bank to ensure that the Bank’s interests are not prejudiced either before court, in the public domain or business environment
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support in the implementation of the Bank’s Compliance Universe.
- Ensure the appropriate security documentation on the Bank’s Standard forms have been properly prepared before dispatch to the customer.
- Liaise with branches, head office business functions, external legal counsel and other service providers on security documentation process and ensure that security documentation and other conditions of sanction have been perfected/completed prior to authorizing drawdown of facilities (unless there is a waiver in place).
- Support the Company secretary on Board Governance related tasks.
- Prepare contracts and related documentation between the Bank and dully approved service providers.
- In consultation with the Company secretary, prepare instructions to and follow up Banks’ external lawyers in preparation of security documents on behalf of the Bank and other legal tasks.
- Represent the Bank before any court of law as witness or to watch brief as necessary.
- Track, Manage and measure external lawyers’ performance to ensure efficiency.
- Manage litigation costs to a minimum including but not limited to negotiating settlements in favor of the Bank where deemed appropriate.
- Create legal awareness and providing advice to the Bank on suitable courses of action to avert and/or minimize litigation.
- Provide legal advisory support to the Bank and its staff.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor of Laws from a recognized and reputable institution and a Diploma in Legal practice.
- A Master’s degree in Business or Law is an added advantage.
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent communications and engagement skills.
- High-level of integrity.
- Strategic planning and management skills.
- People management, organizational and leadership abilities.
- Team player and ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Results oriented with creative thinking abilities.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join KCB Bank should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: Tuesday, 23rd November, 2021.