Job ID 24352
Job Title: Internship – Research Assistant (Paid Jobs)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Salary: UGX 940,000 /=
Duration: April- 31st December 2022
CABI is an international not-for-profit organization that improves people’s lives by providing information and applying scientific expertise to solve problems in agriculture and the environment. CABI is an intergovernmental organization that can trace its origins back to 1910. Our 49-member countries guide and influence our core areas of work, which include International Development and Publishing.
With a grant from Biovision Foundation, CABI started a pilot project in Uganda in 2021 to explore how joint crop-livestock services can be effectively delivered, using four districts in Central Uganda as test cases. The project uses a One Health approach, i.e. cross-sectoral, value-adding action to solve inter-related problems. Initially, the project will focus on food safety related topics including: aflatoxins/post-harvest practices, management of antimicrobial products, pesticides and other agri-vet inputs.
Job Summary: CABI is looking for an intern to be based at the National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO) Secretariat, Entebbe.
The intern will work closely with the CABI team and partners and lead in implementing project research activities in identified research areas under the guidance of the project manager.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute livestock expertise to ensure joint crop-livestock actions create added value and/or cost efficiencies
- Gather and analyse clinic data, data flow and carry out activities to understand the added value of data, and how data management processes and roles may be optimized
- Participate in project monitoring activities including stakeholder meetings
- Analyse and document findings and lessons learned in suitable format as agreed, including writing stories from the field
- Support in training needs assessment, organising and executing project training activities with partners
- Support implementation of other CABI projects
- Contribute to publication(s) of journal paper and/or study brief
- Provide financial and administrative support to projects
- Participate in project activity budgeting, making payments to partners and compiling accountabilities
- Support planning and coordination of workshops, seminars, conferences and other public events.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must be enrolled for an Msc degree in Veterinary medicine, Animal production or any other related field;
- Good analytical and report writing skills;
- Qualitative and quantitative methods, data collection and management;
- A team player with good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Unquestionable Integrity;
- Good organisational skills;
- Able to work independently and remain focussed;
- Ability to interact and work with communities in rural settings;
- Ability to deliver within strict deadlines.
Note: CABI is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation or marital status. No applicant will be disadvantaged by conditions which cannot be shown to be justified and selection will be based on merit.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to submit their CV and a cover letter to [email protected]
Deadline: 31st March, 2022.