Job ID 24347
Job Title: Payroll and Benefits Manager
Organisation: ABSA Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Absa Group Limited (formerly Barclays Bank UK) is a diversified standalone African financial services group, delivering an integrated set of products and services across personal and business banking, corporate and investment banking, wealth, investment management and insurance. Absa Group Limited is listed on the JSE and is one of Africa’s largest diversified financial services groups with a presence in 12 countries across the continent and around 41 000 employees.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Head of HR Operations, Governance and Reward, the role holder(s) will be responsible undertaking all the activities relating to the accurate and timely processing of the monthly payroll areas such as Salaries/Payroll, Benefits administration, taxation, Loan deductions and Pensions and ensuring the bank meets its obligations with all statutory bodies on staff related deductions stakeholder management and engagements, in line with the HR process and procedures and support in benefits administration. Providing internal business reports on staff costs behaviour and oversight on improved cost management
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- On a monthly basis receive all payroll amendments including overtime payments, car allowances, changes to pension contributions, new recruits, bank exits, promotions e.t.c from departments, functions and individuals by the 15th of every month.
- Check that monthly payroll amendments have been duly authorised by Head of HR Operations, Governance and Reward prior to input into the payroll.
- Input and load all authorised changes into the payroll and stamp/cross-out all processed amendments as proof of processing.
- File copies of amendments on monthly payroll file for reference and to provide a payroll audit trail.
- Ensure that no further changes are made to the payroll once it has been closed.
- Print off all payroll report and forward report and payroll file to the Head of HR Operations, Governance and Reward for verification/validation and further authorisation.
- Make any corrections to payroll highlighted by the Head of HR Operations, Governance and Reward and return for validation and authorisation.
- On receipt of authorisation to run the payroll, lock the payroll to any changes and run the monthly payroll.
- Download cost centre reports and payslips and forward to budget owners for review and sign-off before month end and file on monthly payroll file on receipt.
- Pass required payroll entries and forward to Operations Processing Centre for processing.
- Prepare monthly payroll reconciliations as per the bank’s reconciliation guidelines
- Prepare monthly Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) and National Social Security Fund (NSSF) payments by 4th of every month.
- Respond and resolve any payroll related queries in a timely manner.
- Provide monthly payroll analytic reports to Head of HR Operations, Governance and Reward on improving cost management on various payroll lines.
- Participate in payroll process mapping and process improvements including procedures.
- Accountable to ensure all payroll related system changes, User Acceptance Tests and enhancements/ new development are tested successfully for production.
Payroll Control Maintenance
- Ensure that payroll data is kept confidential as per Human Resources guidelines
- Ensure that all payroll controls and compliance requirements are adhered to in line with Uganda regulation.
- Be the focal point of all payroll reviews and audits.
- Ensure payroll records are adequately managed, retained and destroyed in line with the records management policy.
- Ensure that access to the payroll area is restricted to authorised personnel
- Maintain the register for non-authorised personnel entry to payroll.
- Carry out monthly payroll back-ups and ensure that they are safely stored off-site
- Carry-out payroll resilience tests on a regular basis and ensure that any test failures are reported to the Head of HR Operations, Governance and Reward for resolution/action.
- Ensure Payroll process or service failures are timely escalated, risk events raised, and remedial action put in place
- Change system passwords regularly to avoid system compromises and ensure that they are stored off-site.
- Adhere to all the People policy and governance processes and procedures relating to the payroll function
- Ensure monthly payroll governance reports and checklists are timely submitted to the regional payroll team, and payroll Standard Operating Procedures adhered to.
- Implement agreed Service Level Agreements with internal and external customers.
- Develop processes to monitor achievement and improvement of Service Level Agreements.
- Monitor response on Payroll queries and ensure Turn around time on resolution.
- Overseee the accuracy and consistency of data on the payroll system with SAP and ensure provision of reliable people reports for human resource service.
- Stakeholder management and engagement with the regional payroll team on all payroll related matters.
- Deliver a high-quality customer service experience in dealing with staff /pensioners
- Receive and conclude staff/pensioners queries relating to areas of responsibility within 24 Hours
- Attend monthly Payroll regional calls
- Benefits Management
- Liaison between staff and external parties on Group Personal Accident (GPA) /Workers Compensation (WC) and Group Life Accident (GLA) insurances to ensure staff queries and benefits of the policies are realized.
- Do quarterly reconciliations of insurance (medical and GPA/ WC/GL) data to ensure 100% clean data and have quarterly review meetings with the service providers. Assist with other duties in the People Function as and when requested to.
Pension Principal Officer Duties
- To act as a liaison between the Fund/ Trustees and the Service Providers.
- To organize/ prepare for Trustee Meetings/Member meetings.
- To ensure safe keep of all Fund related documents i.e Trust Deed, Financial Statements e.tc
- To forward claim forms to the Administrator once fully filled by claimant, signed and stamped.
- Processing service provider payments within agreed timelines.
- Ensuring that all Board decisions are implemented.
- Receiving and processing all communication made to the Fund
- To submit all monthly schedules along with the remittance advice to the Administrator.
- Ensure timely remittance of monthly contributions to the Custodian.
- Declare potential conflict of interest as and when it may arise.
- Ensure collaboration with all team members within HR Operations to enable smooth operation and Governance
- Be a team player in driving the HR operations agenda and direction for successful delivery of the strategy
- Assist with other duties in the People Function as and when requested to.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must have a National Diplomas and Advanced Certificates: Business, Commerce and Management Studies (Required)
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join ABSA Group in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 27th March 2022