Job Title: Regional Finance Manager – PlayMatters
Organisation: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Regional Finance Manager, PlayMatters
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting nationals and refugees and various institutions in the country notably the government, community-based organizations, the civil society and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, peace building, gender-based violence, economic recovery and agribusiness, and children & youth. IRC has a country office in Kampala, and field offices in Moroto, Kiryandongo, Kyaka II, Yumbe and Imvepi.
Job Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Senior Regional Finance Manager – PlayMatters and technical oversight from the Finance Controller, Senior Regional Finance Manager, the Finance Manager is responsible for ensuring that the day-to-day accounting operations and financial management functions are performed in accordance with IRC’s policies and procedures, and in accordance with the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). This position will support the five-year project, “PlayMatters”, funded by the LEGO Foundation. This position will be a part of the larger PlayMatters Regional Project Management Unit that will support the implementation of the project across East African countries of Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Uganda. The project aims to build children’s social, emotional, cognitive, physical, and creative skills through play in their homes, schools, and communities and will be implemented in partnership with War Child, Plan International, Behavioral Insights Team and Innovations for Poverty Action. Reporting to the SRFM, the Finance Manager will be responsible for financial management of the PlayMatters regional project and will be instrumental in quality financial practices and analysis.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Execute Regional Financial and Budget management – Including management of regional sub-awards.
- Maintain the project’s accounting operations and ensure compliance with IRC and regional office policies and procedures.
- Develop tools and processes for tracking financial performance of the project across regional and country budgets to meet IRC and donor requirements.
- Serve as part of regional finance team for Best Use of Resources Analysis execution.
Finance and Accounting
- Develop and revise annual project budgets for the PlayMatters region office.
- Prepare PM regional annual project spending plans in consultation with workstream leads, and update spending on a timely basis
- Execute quarterly spending report consolidation and ongoing financial management (e.g., monitoring of budget to actuals)
- In liaison with Supply chain and logistics department, prepare commitment lists every month for financial obligations already entered but not captured in financial reports
- Facilitate the 1st review of all financial reports from IRC Country Programs and Regional consortium partners.
- Prepare quarterly financial reports for the PlayMatters regional office, ensuring reported information is accurate and compliant with donor rules, regulations, and reporting requirements.
- Assist the Regional Senior Finance Manager in the compilation of biannual financial report for the consortium partners to be submitted to the donor
- Assist in the implementation of Finance policies, procedures, and systems.
- Assist in the monthly reconciliation of regional transaction’s spent and the quarterly transactions reported by the partners in preparation for biannual reports.
- Work with the Senior Regional Finance Manager to prepare management accounts to be presented to regional project management and the SMT for decision making.
- Review all expenditure worksheets for accuracy and completeness before reporting to the donor.
- Manage Petty cash for the Regional PlayMatters Office.
Project Accounting Operations and Compliance
- Facilitate initial review of all Purchase Orders and Purchase Requests for proper coding and budget adequacy
- Provide first level l review of all payment documents for proper and adequate back up/supporting documents.
- Verify completeness and accuracy of all accounting documents.
- Check sub-grantee reports and arrange payments to them with Senior Regional Finance Manager authorization and Project Director’s approval
- Making payment requests for the region in Integra: Check and analyze expenditure transactions for accuracy, make adjusting entries with proper supporting documentation and approval when applicable and submit revised spreadsheet to Senior Regional Finance Manager for final review. Keep track of subsidiary ledgers for advances, receivables, and payables.
- Resources Analysis Execution
- Participate in the Finance and Monitoring Compliance reviews for the Partners and IRC Country Programs.
- Support the region finance team in documenting and follow ups of all actions generated from the contractual partner finance monitoring.
- Develop and ensure use of systems for tracking progress against budget at the regional levels including master budget documents.
- Provide training to program staff on finance tools and processes specific to project financial management.
- Provide support and training to program staff on financial management issues identified as trends within/across countries.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or Finance or CPA, ACCA equivalent.
- Advanced Diploma in Accounting from recognized College/Institutions with a minimum of three (3) years of accounting experience.
- A least five years of mid-senior management experience in similar role.
- Experience and knowledge of team dynamics desirable.
- Computer literate with significant experience in excel, accounting package knowledge (Integra system) will be an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should apply online at the link below
Deadline: 16th September 2021 at 5:00pm