Job ID 30968
[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Professional Services , Category: Doctors & Other Health Professionals ]
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit
Deadline of this Job:
04 February 2023
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, January 20, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Position Code: SB – 123
Reports to: Scientist A
The position holder is to lead the analysis and reporting of the qualitative component of the study, to assess whether the intervention was implemented with fidelity, and to understand the contextual factors affecting implementation, the acceptability to participants, and the intervention mechanisms. This will be achieved through a process evaluation including quantitative indicators and qualitative data collected from in-depth interviews and focus group discussions.
Roles & Responsibilities
1. Contribute to the qualitative research protocol amendments for the trial;
2. Lead the Process Evaluation work package and ensure a complete activity work plan is developed, implemented and monitored with revisions as needed with input from key members;
3. Contribute to developing and delivering qualitative study training activities;
4. Contribute to survey development using existing literature;
5. Contribute to SOPs for data collection; and,
6. Ensure that the study adheres to all COVID-19 SOPs that are in place at time of data collection.
1. Ensure integrity of study data, procedures and strong data management including the timely uploading of interview audios and transcripts;
2. Lead survey piloting, development and administration;
3. Ensure high quality data transcription is conducted in a secure and timely manner;
4. Conduct and facilitate trainings with the MENISCUS trial team on qualitative data collection and analysis;
5. Develop a thematic codebook for generating themes and sub-themes in line with the
6. objectives of the analysis. This will involve producing summaries, abstracts and coding;
7. Develop coding notes from in-depth Interviews and group discussion/focus group discussion transcripts;
8. Conduct the MENISCUS trial qualitative data analysis using appropriate analysis tools such as NVivo or Atlas.ti;
9. Develop qualitative data analysis reports that includes a description of results in terms of themes and sub-themes, including but not limited to quotations;
10. Contribute to the writing of the qualitative methods sections for study reports or other publications;
11. Ensuring the daily upload of the complete data; and,
12. Work with the MENISCUS trial team to identify appropriate analytical methods to conduct qualitative analyses accordingly.
Communication and reporting;
1. Contribute to leading regular study team meetings and calls;
2. Prepare and present study updates/progress reports on qualitative activities to the Study Principal Investigator;
3. Ensure complete documentation of study meetings for the qualitative activities; and,
4. Contribute to dissemination of study findings including through peer reviewed manuscripts.
1. Study specific roles as per Delegation of Duty/ Authority document; and,
2. Other duties as maybe assigned by the MENISCUS trial Manager as deemed necessary.
1. Assist the Study Coordinator in conjunction with the Administrative Officer to ensure resource management in line with approved budget and sponsor and institutional requirements.
1. Supervise the social science team leader and field interviewer(s) and ensure that there is a well-defined and documented delegation of duties with ongoing performance management;
2. Ensure adequate initial and ongoing training of all study staff with substantive contributions to training activities and materials; and,
3. Identify any training needs and advise accordingly.
The Unit was transferred to LSHTM in 2018. The post-holder is expected to support the further integration of the Unit into the School by;
1. Supporting the dissemination of study findings to all LSHTM sites (London, The Gambia and Uganda); and,
2. Supporting harmonization of policies and procedures within the Unit.
1. Participate in carbon emission reduction activities across the Unit and wider LSHTM; and,
2. Act as an advocate for the responsible and efficient use of resources.
1. A bachelor’s degree in social science field or related;
2. Masters level qualification in a related field;
3. Experience working in a research or donor funded busy environment
4. At least two years’ experience in conducting qualitative data analysis such as coding and summaries of data collected from in-depth interviews and focus group discussions;
5. Experience in survey piloting and testing;
6. Experience of managing multi-site studies;
7. Evidence of co-authorship of at least 2 academic publications;
8. Experience of managing budgets including handling of cash and other study resources;
9. Experience of managing a team (supervising, mentoring or supporting less experienced staff);
10. Experience of delivering training;
11. Should possess knowledge of issues related to adolescent health;
12. Knowledge of different qualitative data collection and analysis methods;
13. Knowledge of ethics in research;
14. Should possess proven ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively as part of a research team;
15. Excellent attention to detail;
16. Excellent social and communication skills; and,
17. Excellent organizational skills;
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Follow the link below to fill a form and submit your application documentation:
Filling the form more than once will lead to automatic disqualification. High level of integrity while filling the form is required and will be considered during shortlisting.
Combine all your application documentation i.e. cover letter, CV & certified copies of academic documents into one PDF document. Deadline for application is 27th January 2023, 5:00pm. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. This position is open to Ugandan nationals only. Strictly follow the application procedure as failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification. Only online applications through the link provided will be accepted. You will receive a notification in your email if your application and documentation have been successfully received.
N.B: You will be required to present certified copies of your academic documentation before employment.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49,
Consider your application unsuccessful if not contacted within eight (8) weeks after the closing date of the advert. Any form of lobbying at any stage will lead to automatic disqualification.
By submitting your personal information, you consent to the MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit holding and using it in accordance with its recruitment policy and procedure.
The Unit reserves the right to verify documents attached with the relevant awarding institutions to authenticate their validity.
MRC/UVRI & LSHTM Uganda Research Unit strives for inclusion and diversity and therefore considers all job applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, and disability. We highly encourage persons with disabilities to apply and compete for different job openings at the Unit. The Unit is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a diverse work force and does not ask for money at any stage of recruitment.