Job Title: Nutrition Officer (Data Harmonization)
Organisation: United Nations Volunteers (UNV)
Placement Organisation: United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well-supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of Nutrition Manager, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Coordinate the harmonization and synthesis of nutrition surveys and data to promote nutrition knowledge management with particular focus on children diet and food systems within and outside UNICEF.
- Support the Nutrition Manager to regularly fill data gaps of the programme for decision making and programme improvement.
- Follow up with results managers of the nutrition programme, Ministry of Health and other stakeholders to promote data use and uptake. – Strengthen data management capacity of the Uganda nutrition programme and the Uganda Nutrition Technical Working group in addressing evolving challenges of children diet.
- Ad hoc support to make available nutrition data as may be required for senior management and/or external engagement
- Nutrition Data is available and accessible for programme decision making
- Increased data uptake by nutrition stakeholders in Uganda
- Nutrition annual results/targets/milestones are monitored.
- Feedback regularly (monthly) provided to the nutrition team on gaps and progress in programme results and targets
- Nutrition programme/donor reports and other internal documents rightly captured targets/results according to plans
- Key progress in nutritional status of children and women in Uganda are updated in UNICEF system and records.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Volunteers (UNV) Nutrition Officer (Data Harmonization) job placement must hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Public health, nutrition, statistics, social sciences, medical sciences, biology, food security and or agriculture or other nutrition related field.
- Five years of experience in Professional experience in a developing country in areas of Coordination of nutrition and/or health programmes, Data management, Data viualization (e.g. maps, dashboards, info-graphics and resource analyses and visualization), Knowledge management – research, knowledge generation and/or publications, Knowledge of data processing and visualization programs such as Excel, SPSS, ArGIS, QGIS, Power BI, Tableau.
- Experience in multi-stakeholder engagement at national level and Demonstrated experience in some of the areas related to nutrition data – HMIS/DHIS, SMART methodologies, etc
- Area(s) of expertise: Information technology
- English, Level: Fluent, Required
- Age: 27 – 80 years
Competencies and values
- Integrity and professionalism: demonstrated expertise in area of specialty and ability to apply good judgment; high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures in a politically sensitive environment, while exercising discretion, impartiality and neutrality; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented.
- Accountability: mature and responsible; ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations.
- Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
- Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner.
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender;
- Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability and willingness to operate independently in austere, remote and potentially hazardous environments for protracted periods, involving physical hardship and little comfort, and including possible extensive travel within the area of operations; willingness to transfer to other duty stations within area of operations as may be necessary;
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join United Nations Volunteers (UNV) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 6th January 2022