Job Title: Travel Assistant
Organisation: United Nations Regional Service Centre in Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Client Services Officer
Job Opening Number: 21-Administration-RSCE-167958-J-Entebbe (R)
The Regional Service Centre in Entebbe, Uganda (RSCE) was established in July 2010, following the adoption of General Assembly resolution 64/269. The Centre provides efficient, client-oriented and scalable services with the goal of moving transactional, non-location dependent administrative functions to the Centre from its client entities. This includes transactional elements of human resources, finance, multimodal movement and control, personnel and cargo transport and information and communications technology (ICT) support.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Travel Assistant will be responsible for ensuring, or carrying out the following duties:
- Calculates airfare, excess baggage entitlements, terminal expenses, daily subsistence allowance for staff and dependents traveling on missions, etc.
- Calculates airfare for requested destinations, lump sum and costs for shipment of personal effects.
- Processes Daily subsistence Allowance (DSA) and expense reports.
- Provides information to staff and consultants on the most direct and economical route, plans routings and itineraries plus the most economical airfare rates for such travel as permitted by rules and regulations.
- Provides information on rates and travel schedules for specific itineraries. Advises on travel issues and replies to clients on queries.
- Contacts airlines or travel agency to makes reservations of the least expensive fares and requests issuance of tickets.
- Arranges tickets for official and training travel; arranges tickets and cargo space for repatriation of Human remains; arranges tickets for medical evacuation.
- Advises substantive offices, travelers, and other relevant staff of arrival information, requesting arrangements to be made accordingly for travelers.
- Creates work orders in iNeed, monitors work orders, and provides daily reports on ageing analysis; closes work orders in iNeed.
- Checks entitlements eligibility, approves entitlement leave, calculation of points according to cycles, post travel management, updates leave card and compilation of staff benefits accruals.
- Raises r PT8, processes entitlement travel services as requested by client missions and RSCE Staff.
- Approves payments in UMOJA; monitors payments activities and provides feedback to clients on payments made,
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations Regional Service Centre in Entebbe (RSCE) Travel Assistant should hold a High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least five (5) years of experience in travel administration or related area, airline reservations and ticketing including fare construction, identifying difficult and complicated routes at the lowest possible fares are required.
- Experience in administration of a broad range of travel related entitlements and benefits using Systems Applications and Products (SAP) or Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software e.g. Umoja or similar platform is required.
- Experience in application of United Nations or similar international organization’s Staff Rules and Regulations in an operational environment is desirable.
- Having experience in an IATA accredited travel agency is desirable.
- Experience in a shared services center is desirable.
- Languages: fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French language is desirable.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of travel related processing requirements; ability to recognize and act in the face of conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 14th November 2021