Job Title: Network Telecommunications Assistant
Organisation: United States US Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Position Number: Kampala-2021-022-RA2
About US Embassy:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Natalie E. Brown currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
Job Summary: The Network Telecommunications Assistant configures, manages and maintains the U.S. Embassy Kampala Department of State (DoS)’s Dedicated Internet Network (DIN), Sensitive but Unclassified (SBU) and wireless networks. The position holder evaluates the existing network and determines flaws in design then proposes solutions as required. Conducts the necessary analysis to provide a stable network. The position will perform advanced analysis configuration and testing of the network, perform routine technical support, monitor network security, apply required software patches and document / diagram the network infrastructure and architecture using the latest software tools.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The applicants for the United States US Embassy Network Telecommunications Assistant job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or related Major. Required.
- Professional: The following Certifications in maintaining, designing, and managing networks are required: Either Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MSCE), Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA) is required OR Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA) is required.
- At least five years of experience in managing sophisticated computer networks and as a professional computer specialist in maintaining, designing, managing and administering Local Area Networks is required.
- Must have expert professional knowledge in network protocols, overall network/desktop technology, TCP/IP network design and planning, routing protocols, OSI model, SNMP, Frame Relay protocols, ISDN network design and engineering, advanced telecommunication, Cisco router and switches configuration and troubleshooting, network operating system, network management tools, automation policies and procedures, design techniques, management techniques and system analysis, computer programming languages, network performance tools and capacity planning
- Extensive experience in designing, implementing, and troubleshooting VLAN using Cisco equipment, knowledge of Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), VLAN and Inter-VLAN routing.
- Since the State Department IT infrastructure and operation is Microsoft based, the jobholder is required to be a Microsoft Certified member. Given the variety of technical requirement and the technical involvement of the job holder in technical matters that may impact on the IT operation at an enterprise level, the level of expertise required is a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator or Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Sound technical skills and decision making to independently manage, administer and maintain large computer LAN and WAN installation, using available tools, technical and administrative reference material in support of management responsibilities.
- Developed interpersonal skills and ability to communicate variably with staff at post and help desks in DOS and ability to communicate information and problem solving in writing so others will understand. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with senior management, host country organizations including the Ugandan Ministry of Communication, local and international vendors.
- Good analytical skills to provide subject matter expert recommendations and resolutions for technical problems related to network operations and installations.
- The ability to present new ideas to resolve complex problems and present strategic thinking
- Skills and abilities to lead and direct technical teams.
- Must have excellent organizational and planning.
- Ability to identify, research, and resolve technical problems relating to the network environment.
- Ability to work in stressful situations and meet deadlines.
- Regular computer keyboard skills with accuracy is required.
- Language:(Fluent) speaking/writing/reading of English is required. This may be tested.
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the United States Embassy, US Mission in Kampala should send their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 22nd November 2021