Organisation: United States US Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Position Number: Kampala-2021-031-RA1
About US Embassy:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Natalie E. Brown currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
Job Summary: The Emerging Voices (EV) Exchanges and Alumni Coordinator works under the direct supervision of the Cultural Specialist and has no supervisory responsibilities. Coordinates the Mission’s exchange programs for youth and communities that are not included in traditional U.S. diplomatic engagement, such as civil society groups and populations vulnerable to extremist appeals. Designs, plans and implements a broad range of activities to maintain contact with alumni of all EV activities and initiatives.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The applicants for the United States US Embassy Public Engagement Assistant (Emerging Voices Exchanges and Alumni Coordinator) job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in International Relations, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, American Studies, intercultural/multicultural studies or local equivalent. Required
- At least years of progressively responsible experience in a multilingual, multicultural, or multinational work environment is required, with project management, marketing, public relations, communication, or education duties as a significant part of the job.
- Detailed understanding of the full range of Position Description tactics and tools designed to engage EV audiences, and general knowledge of cross-cultural communications, is required. General understanding of USG exchange programs, regulations and practices is required. Understanding of funding authorities and their planning and reporting tools is required. Must have general knowledge of project management, including defining project objectives, outcomes, and assessment methods.
- A thorough understanding of the attitudes and preferences of the EV audience sector in host country, including the regional, ethnic, social, cultural, linguistic and other factors and institutions that shape those attitudes, is required. Detailed knowledge of host-country secondary education, exchanges, and youth programs is required.
- Knowledge of typical customer service and marketing tools designed to engage specific audience segments, particularly the EV sector, in the host country is required. Knowledge of latest trends in audience engagement in related public service institutions such as think tanks, museums, academic institutions, professional training institutes, as relevant for the EV sector, is required. Understanding of the complex and changing nature of the information environment, including current trends in international and regional communications as they relate to the host-country communication landscape is required; must be familiar with digital practices and procedures used by or influential with the host-country’s EV sector.
- Analytic skills: Must have strong analytic skills and the ability to conceptualize how best to use PD tools to move host-country attitudes in positive ways. Must be able to advise senior leaders of opportunities to promote Mission objectives through exchanges to and from the U.S.; identify, analyze, predict and continually assess EV audience attitudes; and evaluate the impact of projects and modify approaches for best outcomes. Must be able to perceive the emergence of new influencers and adjust operations and programming accordingly.
- Communication / Interpersonal skills: Must have excellent customer relations, interpersonal cross-cultural communication skills, and be able to identify and engage key figures critical to shaping local public opinion. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking, interviewing for evaluation purposes, writing reports and contributing material for publication in both English and host-country language; must be able to tailor communications to fit formal and informal situations and different ethnic, religious and linguistic cultures. Must be able to brief on a variety of issues and interpret between English and the host-country language for public programs.
- Management skills: Strong management skills are required, including the ability to develop and oversee project budgets and to organize, run, and present professional and exchange projects such as workshops, seminars, digital and in-person conferences, panel discussions, lectures and camps. Must be able to negotiate agreements with partner institutions and manage their fulfillment.
- Technical skills: Good keyboarding and data entry skills and excellent familiarity with electronic discovery tools, in particular the Internet, and standard information retrieval practices and procedures are required. Thorough, detailed knowledge of various computer software programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, graphic design and photo editing software, and PD-specific software, databases, and reporting tools is required. Must be able to use social media and mobile platforms, photo and video sharing sites, podcast creation, and basic photo and video tools. Must have good numerical skills to be able to develop and manage projects and monitor grant budgets; must be able to develop descriptive statistical analysis of target audience segments and impact of EV exchanges activities and initiatives.
- Availability: Must be available to travel throughout the host country to support EV projects and activities.
- Language:(fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing English is required. This may be tested
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the United States Embassy, US Mission in Kampala should send their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 13th December 2021