Job ID 30874
Job Title: WASH Engineer
Organisation: International Lifeline Fund (ILF)
Duty Station: Apac, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Program Manager – WASH
Duration: One year with the possibility of extension
International Lifeline Fund is a non-profit international humanitarian organization with its head office in Washington D.C and a local presence in Sub-Saharan Africa, as we continue to expand to other countries in Africa, including Haiti in the Caribbean Islands where we have impacted thousands of lives through our work. Our team works with local partners and communities to improve the quality of life of the underprivileged by exponentially expanding access to clean water and energy solutions. We strive for a world in which no one suffers from a lack of access to clean water and energy. Lifeline works in two sectors: Energy and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in both the development and humanitarian contexts.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
In close collaboration with the Senior Program Manager, the WASH Engineer will be responsible for designing solar piped water system, overseeing WASH hardware construction (including solar piped water systems, new drills, handpump repairs, latrines), and providing technical input to International Lifeline Fund’s (Lifeline’s) WASH program and assisting EverFlow, Lifeline’s preventative maintenance social enterprise.
- Design small and medium solar piped water systems.
- Supervise and act as focal technical point of contact for all hardware activities for the execution of Lifeline’s WASH programs – including drilling and rehabilitation of handpump-equipped (India Mark II) deep boreholes, piped water schemes, drainable VIP latrines, and other rural water infrastructure as needed.
- Perform quality controls and assurance on all forms received for program activities to ensure they are complete and accurate.
- Analyse and share technical performance indicators with stakeholders (WASH team, HPMs, local government partners as needed, etc.).
- Support in the capacity building of the Hand Pump Mechanics Associations (HPMA).
- Work with EverFlow Officer and contracted handpump mechanics (HPMs) to review helpdesk tickets, ensure the root cause is understood and addressed, and for prevention of re-occurrence.
- Educate contractors and suppliers to ensure standards of execution and spare parts are acceptable.
- Keep all technical documentation and compliance records relevant to the WASH program up to date.
- Planning and preparation of WASH program documents including designs, bill of quantities, technical specifications, conditions of contracts, etc.
- Provide technical reports and certificates for completed works.
- Ensure all parties comply with our promises to customers, work processes, data forms, etc.
- Monthly/quarterly/annual reports on program delivery progress and quality including outcomes that meet organisation reporting needs.
- Perform service quality meetings with service providers.
- Work with private sector to ensure there are sufficient spare parts of acceptable quality available for the program to run smoothly.
- Assist in monitoring the effectiveness of the EverFlow preventative maintenance social enterprise and implement improvements in coordination with the Senior Program Manager.
- Keep up to date with changes on regulatory guidelines/policies.
- Advise as needed in the procurement of technical products and services.
Other Duties Required
- Contribute to proposals for funding, donor reports, publications, etc.
- Train/advise staff and contractors as needed to keep a high-quality service.
- Participate in team meetings.
- Report challenges encountered and continuously recommend improvements to the Senior Program Manager.
- Other duties as requested.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold at least a Bachelor Degree in Engineering, preferably water/civil engineering, training in Public Health is an added advantage.
- Experience in designing and supervising construction of solar piped water systems (SPWS).
- Experience in Engineering design software such as EPANET, AutoCAD/ArchiCAD, Prokons, mWater, ArcMap, Google earth, and GIS, and conversant with Microsoft offices and smartphone-based apps.
- Experience in analysing data and writing reports.
- Ability to handle high levels of pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Critical decision-making.
- High integrity and commitment to good governance.
- At least three years job experience in the WASH sector.
How to Apply:
Please send a copy of your cover letter, resume, and academic credentials to Lifeline’s office by e-mail using the information below.
E-mail: email@example.com with subject line “WASH Engineer” or follow the link
Click Here to apply online.
Deadline: 8th February 2023 by the end of the business day
Only successful candidates will be contacted.
NB: Any kind of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
Female candidates are also encouraged to apply.
Lifeline provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. Lifeline complies with all applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Working at Lifeline- Lifeline offers a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts.
|Hiring Organization||International Lifeline Fund (ILF)|
|Job Location||, , Apac, 0256, Uganda|